Too much valuable teacher time is devoted to the kind of marking and feedback which does little to improve pupils’ learning. When implemented properly, AFL is proven to be the most powerful tool for improving pupil performance.
The Perfect Assessment for Learning INSET training course, based on the best-selling book, Perfect Assessment for Learning, provides a straight-talking guide to outstanding AfL – what it looks like in the classroom and how to ensure every teacher in the school is doing it consistently.
• Use learning objectives and success criteria to activate students as owners of their own learning
• Effectively collect and analyse data to shape AfL strategies with different groups
• Learn how to demonstrate outstanding formative feedback to Ofsted
• Get in-depth training on the latest methods for marking, feedback and peer assessment
• Overcome barriers to progress in the classroom
• Teach students the language of learning so they can manage their own progress
• Learn how to lead a shift in staff culture in order to embed AfL in the hearts and minds of staff
What do teachers need to be doing to embed outstanding formative assessment in lessons?
• AfL checklist for the new Ofsted guidelines
• Examples of best practice
No more grazing at the AfL buffet: making AfL a joined-up strategy that is built into learning and teaching
• Using assessment data to gather evidence of learning for Ofsted
• Data collection and analysis to plan for differentiation and target setting
• Classroom strategies that build in outstanding Assessment for Learning
CPD and performance management that builds a powerful formative assessment culture
• Putting Assessment for Learning at the heart of school improvement
• Teacher self-evaluation and peer coaching
• Using the data effectively across the school to ensure progress
Practical workshop: experience being a student in a lesson with outstanding AfL
• Peer assessment and peer coaching
• Objectives that raise students’ expectations for progress and involve them in planning
• Powerful questioning techniques
• Getting feedback right to ensure learners own their own progress
• Marking that creates the right response and commitment
• Delivering the perfect plenary to gather learning outcomes
All courses are flexible in their content and a bespoke version of the agenda will be developed for your school following a call with the trainer. All courses are available for both Primary and Secondary schools.
To find out more about this course, or for a free consultation please call 0207 067 1597 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.